It’s a big day for the Michigan football program, as it is every year, when it inks the bulk of the new class of commits.
Though national signing day proper in February used to be celebrated as a holiday, now that there’s an early signing period, most of those pledged to their respective teams put pen to paper in mid-December.
Most of Michigan football’s recent classes have been relatively drama-free, but this year could be a bit different. 2021 not only has several prized commits who are all-but-guaranteed to sign — like five-star QB J.J. McCarthy — but some are on the fence, such as WR Xavier Worthy, CB Ja’Den McBurrows, LB Jaydon Hood and LB Branden Jennings.
Additionally, the Wolverines are hoping to add elite in-state running back Donovan Edwards while trying to flip Florida State CB Omarion Cooper.
Could there be any other surprises in store? We’ll update it all with our tracker below.
- Michigan can breathe easy with J.J. McCarthy in the fold. The Wolverines now have 10 of its commitments signed.
- 13 commits now.
- Branden Jennings announces he’s flipping to Maryland. He will sign with the Terrapins.
- Quintin Somerville makes a surprise flip to UCLA, citing coaching staff uncertainty.
- With 14 commits now signed, there are five who have previously pledged left: RB Tavierre Dunlap, WR Cristian Dixon (both expected to sign) — then the question marks of WR Xavier Worthy, LB Jaydon Hood and CB Ja’Den McBurrows.
- Dixon in the fold. Omarion Cooper ended up sticking with his Florida State commitment.
- So, now that Dunlap is official, waiting on Edwards, who announces at 1:30. Don’t expect any decision from Hood today. McBurrows, who had been trending towards Miami could be sticking with his commitment. Won’t know until tonight. And Worthy appears poised to stay.
- Edwards is now committed, so it’s just a matter of him signing his NLI.
- Worthy is sticking, and has signed.
- McBurrows recommitted to the class, and Hood is expected to sign. What a turnaround. Two flips defensively, but good news all around.
- UPDATE: Barring any surprises, Michigan football has completed its class in the early signing period. Would expect it to continue to try and add some players for national signing day proper in February.
Signed with Michigan
Please go to USATodayHSS.com Feed to read full article.